Our Story

Shalla's Service was started in 1933 by Clem Shalla as a full-service gas station and store to serve the bustling north side of Alpena. Mr. Shalla enjoyed many years of successfully running the business and serving the Alpena community until his retirement in 1970, when he sold the business to Ken and Diane Dragiewicz. Ken and Diane took over running the gas station, store and auto repair shop for over 40 years while raising their family until they retired in 2011 and sold Shalla's to their daughter and son-in-law, Kristen and Steve Misiak. In 2016, Kristen and Steve decided to sell the auto repair business to a former Shalla's auto mechanic in order to focus on renovating the store and to add new services. The name Shalla's Service, Inc. was sold along with the auto repair business, and the gas station and store name then became Shalla's Market, Inc. 


Kristen and Steve are continuing the tradition of running this local landmark while raising their family and maintaining their deep roots in the Alpena community.  


In 2018, Shalla's celebrated 85 years of serving the Alepena community and they still pride themselves on the fact that they are a local, family-owned business to this day.